Sunday, May 1, 2011

Journal 11



Debbie Millman is President of the Design division at Sterling Brands, New York, host of the radio show "Design Matters" on DesignObserver.com, the Chair of the new Masters in Branding Program at the School of Visual Arts , a contributing Editor at Print Magazine, and a design blogger for Fast Company. She is the President of AIGA and the author of three books: How To Think Like A Great Graphic Designer (Allworth Press, 2007), Essential Principles of Graphic Design (Rotovision 2008) and Look Both Ways: Illustrated Essays on the Intersection of Life and Design. (HOW Books, 2009). How To Think Like A Great Graphic Designer is currently in its fourth printing and has been translated in four languages. Her fourth book, Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits, will be published by Allworth Press in Fall 2011.
Design Matters is a show that takes you inside the provactive world of design and branding as it intersects with contemporary culture.
I listened to the show with Jessica Helfand, I think the most fascinating thing that I learned from her was basically trying to make your mark on the world. She talks about how things are changing constantly throughout the world and we need to try and make them slow down and keep ahold of the older version of life, and not forget what we are in the past because the past makes us who we are and we cant just forget about it. Seeing as technology keeps changing, I think it is interesting how she wanted to sloe it down, most people these days are looking for the next best thing and she is just trying to hold on to the great things of the past. It makes me want to look back through pictures and things from my past and see what I have forgotten and try and realize what things have changed. I visited my grandparents tonight for Easter and my grandpa made me watch this documentary that was made on him. He had a high rank in WW2 and a person from the government came and made a documentary on his life. I found it fascinated about his life and how things have changed so drastically and all of the things that I have never known about my family. It all seemed to tie into some of the main points she was talking about and I liked how I could link things in my life and her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment